Skullduggery!

A few years ago, while beachcombing on Cape Cod, I found a pair of large skeleton hands. They had five knobby finger bones, much longer than a human's (or any human I'd want to meet). They were pretty freaky. I wondered what strange beast possessed such formidable digits. My research pointed to a seal, or maybe a porpoise - possibly even a whale! I was amazed that a flipper would contain finger-like bones, but it makes sense.

Over the years I've acquired quite a collection of bones and skulls, many found while hiking these beautiful mountains in the Catskills. My dog is especially good at rooting them out. Here are a few - but my challenge to you, dear reader, is to help me identify them.

This first one is easy - a deer - but they're going to get a lot harder.











This one really stumps me.












Here's a view from the top. Rather aerodynamic, but I don't think it's a bird.














This one is teeny. A chipmunk, perhaps?
















 and another view, showing some pretty impressive dental hygiene.















An unusual shape on this one, although if I knew what it was, I'm sure I wouldn't think it unusual at all.






















Another view of the same skull. My, what a flat head you have!












This one has the teeth of a carnivore.
.












Same skull - different angle






















This one is rather beautiful in its symmetry.


















...and from the side.














A bitty bird....but what kind?















Georgie O'Keefe once said, "Bones are as beautiful as anything I know. They seem to cut sharply to the center of something that is keenly alive." I agree.

2 comments:

  1. I really like this post. I could not identify most of then, they were really pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  2. One of the best posts ever! PS I love the background photo.

    brought to you by Captcha of the Day: Winglers! Come by Winglers every Tuesday night for 99cent winglers!

    ReplyDelete